Consider the following scenario:
- You have VMM Server 2012 SP1 or R2 Installed
- You have added WSUS server in your VMM Server to synchronize updates. The WSUS server is using Proxy to connect to Windows Update.
- You’ve installed and configured Azure Site Recovery Provider on the VMM server. The Provider is configured to use the same proxy as WSUS server. Authentication to proxy is based on computer rather than user.
- When you try synchronize VMM with WSUS, VMM tries to connect to the WSUS server trough the proxy used by ASR provider and job fails with the following text:Error (24000)
Error connecting to the WSUS server: WSUS.contoso.com, Port: 8530. Detailed error: The request failed with HTTP status 502: Proxy Error ( Forefront TMG denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). ).
Synchronization from VMM with WSUS is no longer working.
To workaround the issue the following steps needs to be executed:
1. Logon to the VMM server/s with the Service account configure for the VMM Server Service.
2. Open Internet Explorer. Configure the proxy used by ASR in the IE settings. Configure bypass list with settings to bypass servers in your internal domain.
3. Logoff from the VMM Server using the VMM Server Service account.
4. Logon to the VMM server with credentials that provide local administrator rights on the VMM server.
5. Backup registry keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server\DRAdapter\ProxySettings. Just in case if the workaround odes not work for you.
6. Stop VMM Server service.
7. Delete registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager Server\DRAdapter\ProxySettings and everything beneath.
8. Start VMM Server service.
I realized that the above method does not work on VMM clusters and the ASR team helped me with better approach:
1. Logon to the active node on the VMM server with the VMM Server Service account. The VMM Service Account also have to be local administrator on the VMM servers.
2. Configure proxy in IE with the VMM Server service account. Also bypass list.
3. Start installation of ASR provider.
4. When Installation completes re-register the provider. For connection to Azure select use system settings.
5. After the configuration you can log off. That will allow to use VMM, ASR and WSUS without issues.
After these steps the ASR provider connection to Azure should continue to work but you will be also able to synchronize updates in VMM with WSUS server. If in the future you reconfigure ASR provider you will probably need to repeat steps from 6 to 8.
The solution was provider to me by Azure Site Recovery Team. Thank you guys!
The solution is provided ‘AS IS’ with no warranties and confers no rights.