Software Updates Not Deploying

Forum: Config Manager
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • #218812
    Profile photo of SW64
    SW64
    Participant

    Hello,

    Relatively new at all this SCCM stuff and I’m stumped.

    I have SCCM 2012 SP1 running with 2 agents deployed. I created an ADR and ran it. The ADR created a Deployment Package called ‘Windows Monthly Updates’ and a Software Update Group called ‘Monthly Updates 2014-01-18 10:43:05’. The SUG contains 11 Windows updates. If I look at Deployments under Monitoring I can see the ‘Monthly Updates…’ group listed as “Required” with an Action of “Install”. I looked in the UpdatesDeployment.log and I can see that the client has found the list of 11 updates of which at least 5 should apply to the 2 Windows 7 systems. I see it run the evaluation and it seems like it should have moved to installation but it never does. I even see these entries:

    Update (Site_######) Progress: Status = ciStateDownloading, PercentComplete = 100, Result = 0x0

    Update (Site_######) Name (Security Update for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 (KB2917500)) ArticleID (2917500) added to the targeted list of deployment ({1ff5c151-ae53-407c-89e7-a4900a24f8ca})

    But nothing that looks like a complete installation. And the next time it checks I get “Attempting to install 0 updates”.

    Not sure where to look at this point. Thoughts?

    TIA

    #218819
    Profile photo of SW64
    SW64
    Participant

    I also see this in the updatesdeployment.log:

    CUpdateAssignmentsManager received a SERVICEWINDOWEVENT START Event
    No current service window available to run updates assignment with time required = 1

    Does this mean that it’s trying to start but not finding a large enough window to execute the updates? I’ve changed the maintenance window to run from 6 PM to 6 AM so I’m having a hard time believing that the window isn’t large enough.

    #218842
    Profile photo of Stephen Barbarino
    Stephen Barbarino
    Participant

    I had a very similar issue in SP1 and upgrading to R2 resolved it for me. I tried everything before that. Reinstalled the SUP role, manually deployed the updates, etc. If you find a solution, let us know.

    #218850
    Profile photo of SW64
    SW64
    Participant

    I think I’ve isolated the issue – the ADR included a deadline for the deployment and it appears that this causes a conflict with the Maintenance Window. I am testing updates to see if this is the case. Then I think I’m going to have to get a better understanding of how these all relate. I will update again once I’ve tested this.

    Thanks

    #218859
    Profile photo of SW64
    SW64
    Participant

    Okay, it was definitely a conflict between the deadline and the maintenance window.

    I created a new Device Collection with 1 system in it and configured a maintenance window. I then created an ADR with it set to deploy as soon as possible. The next morning the system had been updated.

    In the meantime, the deadline that had been assigned to the original ADR just happened to arrive and the updates installed on the other system that hadn’t been updated by the previous test.

    So, no deadlines needed if there is a maintenance window.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.