Here is a documentation omission I discovered (and reported) recently when I encountered difficulties getting the Linux client to function as expected in System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP1.
I installed the Linux client on a Suse (SLES) 11 server, but found the client was completely non-functional. I assumed I must be missing some software prerequisites and went to the TechNet documentation for the answer, checking the sections that promised this info:
- Introduction to Client Deployment in Configuration Manager
- How to Manage Linux and UNIX Clients in Configuration Manager
- Hardware Inventory for Linux and UNIX in Configuration Manager
- Deploying Software to Linux and UNIX Servers in Configuration Manager
- How to Monitor Linux and UNIX Clients in Configuration Manager
All I found were circular references, with each section pointing me to another!
A quick check in with the product team revealed that this info, was missing from the documentation. However, they mentioned that although the Configuration Manager Linux client is different from the Operations Manager Linux client, the software prerequisites are the same.
The software requirements for the Operations Manager client (which are the same as those for the Configuration Manager).
Additional articles related to the SC 2012 Configuration Manager Linux Client.
And Orchestrator-related cross-platform articles…